From casual faith to rulership.

 

As I was reflecting on the book Rediscovering the Kingdom by Myles Munroe, it took me back to my own salvation story and how, along the way, I lost sight of what salvation truly means. So, grab some popcorn and get comfortable and stay with me till the end.

I grew up in a home where going to church every Sunday was not optional, it was just what we did. So, I grew up knowing about God, but I didn’t yet understand salvation or that Jesus died so I could live a full and purposeful life. By God’s grace, I got saved at fourteen during a home group cell. After giving my life to Christ, our leader taught us how to pray and read the Bible, and I soon joined a Bible class for new believers. We met every Monday and Friday for nine months, learning how to walk in faith and live by biblical principles. Add to that the worship nights and weekly cell meetings, I had a rhythm that kept me grounded and away from distractions common to teenagers. The fact that I was doing it with friends made it even more joyful. But while I was surrounded by a godly environment, I had not yet developed a personal relationship with Jesus. My faith was more communal than personal. It made me a "good person" on the outside, but deep inside, I struggled quietly with things I could not talk about for fear of judgment. Though I was active in church, my heart was far from God.

This disconnect was exposed when I left home for university abroad. With no church friends or leaders watching, I had to stand on my own. Thankfully, I studied at a Christian university, and campus life was full of Christian programs, but stepping outside those gates was a different story. I suddenly had freedom, and I was responsible for every decision I made. While I was not easily influenced by peers, the environment beyond campus didn’t offer much to do. But from the beginning, I committed to two things: focusing on my studies and building healthy friendships. God honored both desires and surrounded me with good friends.

Still, something was missing I had no church to belong to. My once unshakable Sunday rhythm disappeared. I went from faithfully attending church to spending over two years without setting foot in one. I tried finding a church nearby, but none felt like home. The only spiritual connection I had left was a small Friday prayer cell on campus. Slowly, I began to drift. My desire for prayer faded, and church became something I could skip without guilt. My fear of God remained, and my identity as a Christian kept me from making reckless choices, but my heart grew cold. I tolerated things I once would not have, and over time, I lost sight of the meaning of salvation. What was once a fire became a spark. And yet, even in that low place, God provided for me a community to belong to where I found not only a church but a family. And in that family, I am being equipped to represent Christ in every sector of society, to be a fearless influencer of society.

You might be wondering where I am going with my salvation story. Well, here is the heart of it: Jesus did not come just to save us so we could go to heaven. He came to restore what Adam and Eve lost in the garden: our authority, our dominion, and our identity. He came to reestablish the Kingdom of God on earth, just as it is in heaven. We were created to rule as kings and queens, not to be confined to religious systems. My salvation story is not just a story; it is a journey of moving beyond religious traditions and embracing my true purpose as a citizen of God’s Kingdom.

As I close, I invite you to take a moment for honest reflection. If you are saved, are you living a life that reflects God’s Kingdom? If not, what can you do about it? Because the world is waiting, not just for someone, but for you to rise in the authority and identity you have been given. The world is waiting for you to step into your position of rulership and influence here on earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My route to leadership

When the wait wears you down

When the Ordinary Becomes Fearless