My route to leadership

 

I used to think leadership was for people who were gifted with public speaking (a.k.a. the gift of talking), those comfortable with the pulpit, or those in positions of power and it made sense to me. In my understanding, leadership was for the qualified, not for people like me who preferred to stay behind the scenes and didn’t like speaking in front of others. But guess what? Today, despite my shyness and fear of crowds, I am a leader.

 Growing up, I was a quiet and shy child. I didn’t play much with other kids and was content being by myself. I always had one or two close friends, at most. High school is usually the time when people start forming groups, but I never liked the idea of constantly engaging with a group of people. What would happen instead is that my best friend would pull me into her group. In other words, I would walk in her shadow. I was a good follower, but I never wanted to be a leader. By now, you have probably guessed that I am an introvert. I am the kind of person who can stay at home for an entire week and enjoy my own company. I get drained by too many social activities. I simply love my space and my corner. But none of this stopped me from becoming a leader.

 My leadership journey began when I joined my local church, Mavuno Church. Our mission is “Turning ordinary people into fearless influencers of society.” This statement made me feel fortunate to be part of a church that is impacting our communities. But it wasn’t until later that I realized the “ordinary people” they were talking about was me. I still remember when my pastors called me out to lead. Like Sarah in the Bible, who laughed when told she will give birth at an old age, I too laughed at them. It was one of those moments when they call you out, and you look around to see who they are talking about, only to realize it is you. But with teachings and watching how other people lead, I learnt that leadership is not about position or power; it is about serving those around you. It is about influence. According to John Maxwell in his book “Becoming a Positive Influencer”, we all have influence—whether at home, church, or work.

In my case, I was fortunate to be surrounded by people who saw potential in me to lead. But it was up to me to embrace it and embark on that leadership journey. But it had to start with surrender. We often say that Jesus is our Lord and Savior, but we forget He is also our King. If He is the King, I must surrender my right to my own kingdom (leading myself), which means giving up everything I own, everything I have, and everything I aspire to be.

This meant that I had to give up my personal time, my space, and my comfort zone and begin reaching out to others. You can imagine how hard that was for an introvert and a phlegmatic like me, but it was the only way to become a fearless influencer. I had to learn to create relationships instead of waiting for others to come to me because you can’t lead people with whom you don’t have a relationship. This journey also came with many shifts in my worldview. I had to renew my mind and not rely on my own understanding.

Leadership is not a one-time thing; it is a journey. We have all been designed to become leaders and influencers in our unique ways. By leading in your unique way, I mean that you don't have to become like other people. God did not make a mistake by creating you as an introvert or an extrovert; He just wants a willing heart. By the way, this journey is not easy; sometimes it’s draining and discouraging, but its rewards are incomparable.

Today, I have found my way as a leader, and if you have not yet, consider this an invitation to join me on this journey. People are waiting for you to step into your role and serve. But first, find your style and embrace it.

Comments

  1. Preach preach young lady ... I love so much this line: "We have all been designed to become leaders and influencers in our unique ways. By leading in your unique way, I mean that you don't have to become like other people. God did not make a mistake by creating you as an introvert or an extrovert; He just wants a willing heart. By the way, this journey is not easy; sometimes it’s draining and discouraging, but its rewards are incomparable." - Thank you for sharing your journey, cane cane for getting out of your comfort zone in doing so.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When the wait wears you down

When the Ordinary Becomes Fearless